Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"I Accept Rachel's Challenge"

The seventeen year old, Rachel Scott, died on April 20th 1999 at Columbine High School while eating lunch with her friend. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the two highschool gunmen, killed 12 peers and one teacher. If there bombs had worked they would have killed over 500 innocent kids and teachers. 
Rachel, however, wrote an essay a while before the shooting. Thsi is one of the sentences she wrote. 
"I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion than it will start a chain reaction of the same." - Rachel Joy Scott
This also means that if you do one thing nice to someone they'll do it someone else, and it will keep going on like a chain.
At school we had a little speech saying what Rachels challenge was. I learned a lot about kindness and me. Me, because I  never knew what kind of person I was. Nice, mean, angry, dumb, or stupid. I learned that angers just takes lives, such as Eric and Dylan, and what they were going through when they were bullied. So why don't we start doing the right thing for everyone, and us. It may just start a chain reaction.
Now, Rachels challenge is do all these things.
  1. Kind words and actions
  2. Don't be prejudice.
  3. Start a chain reaction
  4. Have a influence
  5. Dare to Dream, set new goals and keep a journal.
With all these things you can bve a kind person. We all know there is a nice, sweet person down deep inside waiting to be unleashed. So just let go and wait until it makes other people see your true beauty. Let's see  what we can do. "We accept Rachel's Challenge!

16 comments:

  1. Nimra

    I am so glad that you decided to continue what you learned today by sharing it on your blog. The message of your post was great and I hope that many people read your blog and also take Rachel's challenge. Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for accepting Rachel's Challenge. Many schools in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area of Texas are really working on getting many people involved in this project as well. I like your statement about there being a kind person inside waiting to be unleashed. I totally agree. Thank you and I hope you get a lot more people involved by the example you have set here with your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great and interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of Rachel's Challenge before your post. What are you going to do specifically to meet the challenge? For example will you go out of your way to tell 5 people something nice every day, or write a note to a different person telling them you appreciate them? I know that it may take some of the fun spontaneity out of it, but I also know that if I don't have a plan I won't do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Rachel's Challenge earlier this year at our Annual Provincial Leadership Conference. My students and I were amazed with the presentation and alow vowed to accept Rachel's Challenge. On Dec. 1, my entire student body from grades 7-12 is lucky enough to be able to see the presentation and I am excited for that!

    Thank you for accepting Rachel's Challenge and thank you for blogging about it. I plan on getting some of my SLC students to read your post to gather inspiration.

    Keep on blogging,

    Miss Byrnes
    Montmartre School

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realized that bullying is wrong, well, I already did, but I didn't know it could kill someone! I accept Rachel's Challenge!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Poole,
    Thanks for your delightful comment. After hearing the trajic story of Rachel Scott and her world taking challenge, I wanted to learn more. I realized it's good to be nice, and you can change a person's life with it.
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul R Wood.
    Thank You! I think everyone should know about this story. Children should know how you can do anything by being nice. It always helps. I hope your having a good day!
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wm Chamberlain,
    Being nice is something you don't need a plan for. Instead of saying something mean, you can say nice stuff. Don't leave the person out. Nice can be givin out anytime. Even a "Thank You" will make a person's day. Hope you get the idea.
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Byrnesa,
    Thank You!
    I was happy that I learned about "Rachel's Challenge." The presentation inspired my peers and my life. It was happy to see 300 6th graders accept Rachel's Challenge. Hope your having a good day.
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tomboy MJ,
    Bullying is bad and hurts innocent people's life. I am happy that you accept Rachels Cahllenge, everyone should!
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nimra-
    I just stumbled onto your post because I was interested in the blogging contest your class has going. This is a beautiful post and I am so glad you took Rachel's message to heart. Reading the comments, it is clear you have inspired others. I bet you will continue to do so.

    All the best to you!
    Ms. Stewart
    8th Grade
    Marie Murphy School
    Wilmette, IL USA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Ms. Stewart,
    Thank You for your kind post. I really want to take this Rachel's Challenge far and let people know that the world can change if one person went and talked to someone who was left out. I hope this story inspries others as it inspried me.
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a good post.
    I feel bad that Rachel didn’t survive.
    I hope the other students and the teachers who survived are all right.

    Comment by Janel
    (Posted by Ms Stewart)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy,
    Thank You for your knid comment! I really hope the teachers and students are okay now!
    Nimra

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete